- The Angels of Our Better Beasts, (forthcoming) short story collection, ChiZine Publications, Nov 2017.
- One Nation Under Gods, (forthcoming) novel, ChiZine Publications, Nov 2016.
- Tesseracts 18: Wrestling with Gods (co-editor), anthology, Edge Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing, Dec 2014 (Kindle), March 2014 (print)
- “Et tu Bruté,” Geist, Fall/Winter 2010.
- “One Nation Under Gods,” Tesseracts 14: Canadian Anthology of Science Fiction and Fantasy, Edge Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing, Sept 2010.
- “The Song of Sasquatch,” Icarus: the Magazine of Gay Speculative Fiction, Summer 2010.
- “The Song of Sasquatch,” Joyland, June, 2010.
- “Et tu Bruté,” (finalist) Geist Postcard Story Contest, April 26, 2010.
- “How Magnificent is the Universal Donor,” Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead, Edge Publishing, March 2010.
- “Bondsmen,” October 12, 2009. Metazen, 2009
- “Where the Sled Dogs Run,” Queer Wolf, Queered Fiction, 2009.
- “The Moon Over Tokyo Through Leaves in the Fall,” Fantasy magazine, September 2009.
- “Believing in the Dog,” What’s Up Yukon?, November 13, 2008.
- “Bear With Me,” Tesseracts Eleven: Canadian Anthology of Science Fiction and Fantasy, November 2007
- “Brazos,” Strange Horizons, July 3 2007
- “Why the Poets Were Banned from the City,” OnSpec, Spring, 2007.
- “Old Lions,” Redivider, Spring 2005.
- “Lemmings in the Third Year,” Tesseracts 9: Canadian Anthology of Science Fiction and Fantasy, May 2005. *(see awards)
- “Exit Slowly, Pursued By Bears,” Urban Coyote: a Yukon Anthology, Fall 2003.
- “My Children in a Small Graveyard,” Out of Service: A Yukon Magazine of Art and Literature, Vol. 2, Fall 2002.
- “The Disappearing Lion Trick,” Tesseracts 18: Wrestling with Gods foreword, Edge Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing, Dec 2014 (Kindle) March 2015 (Print).
- “Undercover at the Festival of Faith and Writing,” Geez Magazine, #27, Fall 2012.
- “As the Spirit Moves Me,” Geez Magazine, #27, Fall 2012.
- “Moving Up, Coming Out, Moving On,” Geez Magazine, #24, Winter 2011.
- “Wild at Art,” Yukon, North of Ordinary, Summer 2011.
- “What’s Going On Up There?” Yukon: North of Ordinary, pp 36-42, Spring 2010.
- “Young Scientists,” Yukon: North of Ordinary, Winter 2009
- “Gay Community Sees Hope in Laramie Project,” What’s Up Yukon, Feb 25, 2010.
- “Vigils Bring People Together,” What’s Up Yukon, Dec 10, 2009.
- “Queer Coffee is a Community saying Hello,” What’s Up Yukon, Nov 26, 2009.
- “The Bootheel Project: An Artist’s Picture,” Missouri Folklore Society Journal, Vols.
- “Laramie Project Delivers Stunning Ensemble Work,” (review) What’s Up Yukon, Feb 17, 2010
- “Walker’s Laramie Project Showcases the Triumph Of Community,” (Interview with Clinton Walker) What’s Up Yukon, Feb 10, 2009.
- “Hazel Venzon Embraces the Filipino Community,” (Interview with Hazel Venzon) What’s Up Yukon, Jan. 28, 2010.
- “Nina Arsenault Talks About the Pursuit of Beauty and Truth,” (Interview with Nina Arsenault) What’s Up Yukon, Jan 28, 2010.
- “Ron James Shifts Comedy Paradigm,” (Interview with Ron James) What’s Up Yukon, Jan 28, 2010.
- “The Third Annual Pivot Festival: Floating, Swimming, Flying,” What’s Up Yukon, Jan 21, 2010.
- “From Dress Rehearsal to Final Performance,” What’s Up Yukon, Dec.10, 2009.
- “A Christmas Wish for Stability, Sanity and Love,” (review of The Soul Menders) What’s Up Yukon, Nov 26, 2009.
- “Romantic Christmas Comedy had a long Journey,” (Interview with Patti Flather for The Soul Menders) What’s Up Yukon, Nov 19 2009.
- “A Play Without Boundaries” (Interview with Chris McGregor–Preview of The SoulMenders), What’s Up Yukon, Nov 12, 2009
- “Round One Goes to the Guild. What a fight!” (Review of Who’s Afraid of VirginiaWoolf?), What’s Up Yukon, Sept 30, 2009.
- “No One Can Shock with Such Delight,” What’s Up Yukon, Sept 24, 2009
- “Caching in on Adventure,” Yukon: North of Ordinary, Summer 2009
- “True: a review [of Ray Boltz’s album True], Geez Magazine, #25, Spring 2012.
- “Java Script,” Yukon: North of Ordinary, Winter 2010.
- “The Inhuman Are Not Like You and Me,” Foreword to Inhuman, Flash Fiction Challenge #4, (anthology), Absolute XPress, 2010.
- “River Walk Columns Appear Out of Nowhere Overnight,” What’s Up Yukon, July 8, 2010.
- “See a Show at the Palace Grand,” Yukon: North of Ordinary, Summer 2010.
- “Avalanche Warnings: What You Think You Know Can Kill You,” What’s Up Yukon, Feb 10, 2009.
- “Researchers Using Peat Beds to Understand Climate Change,” YourYukon, Summer 2009.
- “Northern Grasses ‘Punching Above Their Weight’,” YourYukon, Summer 2009
- “A Tale of Two Photos,” Yukon: North of Ordinary, Spring 2009
- “Donning Our Coat,” Yukon: North of Ordinary, Fall 2008
- “Rare Yukon Plants,” Yukon: North of Ordinary, Summer 2008.
- “Portrait of the Artist as a Bear: Jazz, Nietzsche and the Animal Mask.” Mosaic, “The Animal II” (March 2007)
- “Whitman and Teddy Roosevelt: An Unpublished Whitman Manuscript at Sagamore
Hill” (with Sherry Ceniza and Ed Folsom) Walt Whitman Quarterly Review, Volume
23, 1/2, Summer/Fall 2005.
- “An Interview with Madeleine L’Engle,” The Mark, Vol 3, Spring 1997.
NonFiction for Radio
- “Kluane Lake Reports” (9 part series for CBC about the science going on at Kluane Lake Research Station), Summer 2009.
- “Yukon 2058,” (5 part series, radio fictional narrative) for CBC North about life in the Yukon fifty years from now. Dec 8-12, 2008.
- “Leaving America,” (7 part memoir series, radio essays) for CBC North about
my immigration journey from Texas to the Yukon Territory, Jun 2008
- “Adopting my Mother,” (5-part memoir series, radio essays) CBC North, June 2003
- Three Essays for Sept 11th memorial, CBC North Radio Memorial program, Sept.
- “Road Trip,” Geist #94, Fall 2014.
- Polar Bonds, comic strip in the Yukon News, April 2003–Dec 2003
- Captain Bly, self-published book of comic strips which had previously appeared in The Maneater (1992-1994), 1994
- Co-Editor, Tesseracts Eighteen: Wrestling With Gods, Edge Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing, 2014/2015
- Editorial Team, Arctica, online magazine for Circumpolar Art and Culture, 2010.
- Guest Editor, Inhuman, Flash Fiction Challenge #4 Anthology, Absolute XPress, 2010.
- Managing Editor, Iron Horse Literary Review, Texas Tech University, 2004-2005.
- Fiction Edtiorial Team, Iron Horse Literary Review, Texas Tech University, 1999-2001.
- Graduate of Lambda Literary Retreat for Emerging LGBT Voices, 2013, Los Angeles; under Samuel R. Delany
- Graduate of Clarion Science Fiction and Fantasy Workshop, 2007, San Diego; under Gregory Frost, Jeff and Ann VanderMeer, Karen Joy Fowler, Cory Doctorow, Ellen Kushner and Delia Sherman
- PhD in Creative Writing, Texas Tech University, 2005, Lubbock; under Jill Patterson and Stephen Graham Jones
Works in Progress
- Coming Out of America: a memoir of my immigration to the Yukon Territory: my 4000 mile road trip through the US and Canada, interviewing Americans and Canadians along the road, becomes a backdrop for talking about faith, immigration, Canada and the nature of national and personal identity.
- Witness for their Evolution: When Animals Speak in Literature (collection of articles on talking animals in 20th Century Literature)
- “Straight from the Gorilla’s Mouth: Aping Authorial Voice in Quinn’s Ishmael.”
- “Speaking of Grief: Primate Language acquisition and expressions of grief in Malamud’s God’s Grace”
- “For a Look at New Worlds,” 2nd Place for Imagine Little Tokyo Writing Contest, April 2015.
- “Et Tu Bruté,” Finalist for Geist Postcard Story Contest, April 2010.
- “Believing in the Dog,” First Place Winner, PSAC Whitehorse Regional Pride Committee Short Story Contest, Nov. 2008
- Tesseracts Nine wins Aurora Award for Best Work in English (other)
- Tesseracts Nine, the anthology containing “Lemmings,” listed on ForeWord
Magazine’s Book of the Year list, 2005.
- Honourable Mention, Fountain Award, Speculative Literature Foundation, for “Lemmings in the Third Year,” from Tesseracts Nine, 2005.
- Distinguished Young Alumni Award, Wayland Baptist University, 2005
- Honourable Mention, John Haines Award, poetry, “At the Foot of the Bed in
Korea,” Jan 2003
- Fulbright Fellowship to Canada, 2001-2002
- George T. Prigmore Graduate English Scholarship, Texas Tech University, 2001
- William Bryan Gates Award for Doctoral Students, Texas Tech University, 2000
- The Milton Center Post-Graduate Fellowship Award, 1996-1997
Conference Papers Presented
- “ ‘The Bear Did Not Reply’: Manufacturing Consent and Animal Speech in Marian Engel’s Bear,” Canadian Film and Literature, RMMLA, Reno, October 2008.
- Chair of Canadian Film and Literature, RMMLA, Reno, 2008
- Chair of The Question of the Animal in Literature and Culture, RMMLA, Reno 2008.
- “Akela’s Curriculum: Kipling, Baden-Powell and Animal Teachers in the Cub Scouts,” RMMLA conference, Calgary, October 6 2007.
- Moderator, “Where Genre and Non-Genre Meet: Texas Writers on Texas Writing,” AWP conference, Austin, March 2006.
- Panelist, “Celebrating Robert E. Howard in his Centennial Year,” AWP conference, Austin, March 8-12, 2006.
- “Evolution, with Occasional Gun: ‘Uplifted’ Animals, Violence and Moral Responsibility in Lethem’s Gun, with Occasional Music” 19th Annual conference, Society for Literature, Science and the Arts, November, 2005
- “The Portrait of the Artist as a Bear: Using Nietzsche to understand the fantasy elements in Rafi Zabor’s The Bear Comes Home.” Southwest/Texas Pop Culture Association Conference, Albuquerque, NM, March, 2001.
- “The Bear as Religious Figure: an examination of the narrative use of the bear in 20th Century Literature.” University of Missouri-Columbia English Graduate Student Conference, February 2000.
- “Cultural Assimilation: Octavia Butler’s Xenogenesis and the discourse of Indian Captivity narratives.” Texas Tech Graduate English Conference, February, 2000.
- “Out of the Shadows of Watership Down: bringing Shardik to new audiences” Southwest/Texas Popular Culture Conference, Albuquerque, NM, February 2000.
- “In the Shadows of Watership Down: a reception study of Adam’s Shardik in light of timing, previous works and children’s literature” Hubcon III, Texas Tech University, October, 1999.